Too much Consumption of salt through food could be harmful for overall health. You cannot have your food without salt so it is necessary to keep a check on how much salt you are consuming. Here are some of the signs that you are consuming too much salt.
A recent study reveals that consuming too much salt through food could be harmful for your overall health. According to Experts sodium is a hidden component and it is difficult to measure. Therefore it is difficult for a person to estimate how much sodium he or she consumes in a day. Researchers say that it is easy to estimate the sodium intake with the help of a spot test. This test would check the salt content in a person’s urine sample.
Too much Consumption of salt can increase your blood pressure and some studies suggest that it is linked to cognitive decline as well. Research shows that on an average our daily intake of salt should be 6 grams. But most people consume 7.2 grams of salt every day.
- Your brain feels foggy: Who knew that salt could even impact your brain function? According to a 2011 Canadian study those who take high – sodium diets had a higher chance of cognitive decline than those people who take less salt in their diets. As your age is growing then it is important to keep track of how much salt you are consuming and if necessary then you can make changes.
- You are seriously thirsty: Foods with high amount of sodium make you feel thirstier because sodium messes with the balance of fluid in your body. If you had intake of higher – sodium food then try to drink a lot of water. Your body is probably craving water so it can restore the salt balance in your cells.
Sodium plays a starring role in helping our bodies balance fluid. We need some salt intake each day to help maintain water balance in the body. The sodium found in salt helps to keep fluid inside our cells.
When you are feeling thirstier then it is a sign that for you that there is not enough water in your body to support how much sodium is in your body so it sends a signal to your brain to drink up more water.
If you are consuming too much salt then you can feel thirsty most of the time. The best way to make up for this is to drink lots of water. Your body continues to give you a signal that it needs more water to restore salt balance in your body.
- Your body is swelling in strange places: according to study just one night of too much sodium can actually make you look and feel more bloated in the morning. This is known as edema which means the swelling of extra fluid in your body’s tissues. According to research edema can be a symptom of an underlying disease but it can also be a sign of too much sodium in your diet. The simple solution of this problem is you have to cut back on sodium intake. Before buying edible things first Read food labels and look for low – sodium options or cook your own food to control the salt in your diet.
Swelling of the knees or feet and even your hands can be caused by edema. According to research because of high sodium diet your body can retain water. This problem can be treated with either a change in diet or prescription medication.
Consuming too much salt can give you swelling in different parts of the body. This could be a reason why you feel bloated. The swelling can be felt on the fingers and around the ankles or anywhere else.
- You get kidney stones: if you taking diet which is high in too much sodium can actually hinder kidney function. According to the World Action on Salt and Health, too much salt can increase the amount of protein found in your urine. More protein in your urine is a “major risk factor” for kidney disease and high – sodium diets can also increase the risk of kidney stones. If you have excessive kidney stones or pain then you should consult a doctor and also consult a nutritionist to change to a low sodium diet.
Your kidneys help to remove waste products, balance fluid levels and control the production of red blood cells in your body. But with a high salt intake and high blood pressure combined, this can be lethal to your kidneys.
- You have stomach ulcers: according to a study Too much sodium can be cause of stomach ulcers and cancer in animals. The research suggests that people should be wary of salt damaging their stomach lining.
- You have high blood pressure: According to the American Heart Association you should eat only 1500 milligrams of sodium. More than 1500 milligrams of sodium can increase blood pressure by holding more fluid in the body which makes your heart pump harder.
- You need to urinate a lot: Frequent urination is a sign that you are consuming too much salt. Most of the time, you may feel an urgent need to wake up in the middle of the night to urinate. However, it is a symptom of many other conditions like UTIs, type 2 diabetes and an over active bladder. Take a test be sure of what exactly the problem is.