- United States – The United States has the world’s most powerful military. The US Armed Forces account for roughly 40% of all military expenditures across the world. It is a volunteer military. The United States annual defense budget is $647 billion. United States actually possesses fewer nuclear warheads than Russia. The U.S. Armed Forces are made up of the five armed service branches: Air Force, Army, Coast Guard, Marine Corps, and Navy. In the United States there are three general categories of military people – active duty which means full-time soldiers and sailors, reserve & guard forces mean they usually work a civilian job but can be called to full-time military duty, and veterans and retirees means they are retired members of the military.” United States has over 2,083,100 people in the military. 1,281,900 – Active personnel and Reserve personnel – 801200.
- Russia – The Russian Armed Forces has becomes the world’s second most powerful military. Current estimates place their nuclear arsenal at around 4300 war heads. Russia has total military personnel – 3586128. Active personnel – 1013628 and Reserve personnel – 2572500. Total aircraft strength – 3914, Combat tanks – 20300, Naval Assets – 352, armored fighting vehicles – 27400 and the annual defense budget of $47 billion.
- China – The Chinese People’s Liberation Army is the defense service force of China and it comprises ground forces, naval forces, artillery, armed police and air force. The Chinese People’s Liberation Army (PLA) is the world’s largest military and Chinese People’s Liberation Army has 2693000 personnel. Active personnel 2183000 and Reserve personnel 510000. This represents 0.18% of the country’s population. It also has the second largest defense budget of all countries. China has an estimated nuclear stockpile of 270 weapons. While in compare of to the United States or Russia they don’t have a ton of aircraft. Despite being the largest Army, it is not the most modern force in the world considering the budget it allocates for defense because In 2017 Chinese defense budget allocation was $151 billion. China’s Air Force (PLAAF) has around 4, 00,000 personnel in service and is the largest air force in Asia. China People’s Liberation Army Ground Force is the largest standing army in the world. The mandatory military service law ensures that there is never a dearth of personnel in the PLA Ground Force.
- India – India boasts the world’s largest volunteer army at over 1,362,500 active duty personnel and reserve personnel 2,844,750. It is also the second-largest military force in the world. They are immensely powerful with an air force of over two thousand aircraft; a navy of 295 ships over four thousand tanks, more than six thousand armored fighting vehicles and an estimated 130 nuclear weapons. India has over 4 million people in the military and the annual defense budget of 47 billion dollar. India today has the world’s largest standing army. India has been fast developing new military technology, acquiring what is required, manufacturing weapons, aircraft, naval vessels etc to make India’s military a strong force to handle these threats. India seems to be modernizing its military and its nuclear capabilities keeping an eye on China. Since resources like aircraft, personnel, helicopters etc are spread across the three services – Army, Air Force and Navy. Air power is crucial in times of war, conflict, for reconnaissance, surveillance, rescue, special ops etc. The Indian military has attack aircraft, fighter aircraft, bombers, reconnaissance aircraft, transporters, and attack helicopters, air superiority fighters etc. Some aircraft can serve multiple roes like the commissioned Rafale are multi-role combat aircraft. The Indian Navy is the fifth largest navy in the world. It has in its fleet tactical submarines, nuclear-powered submarines, conventionally powered submarines, aircraft carrier, destroyers, frigates, amphibious warfare ships, corvettes etc. The Navy played a crucial role in India’s victory in the 1971 war with Pakistan and also plays a key role in securing India and its interests in Indian Ocean, Arabian Sea, Bay of Bengal, South China Sea etc. The Indian Army is arguably the backbone of the Indian armed forces. The foot soldiers that guard India’s borders and deal with the security threats to the country in the most testing situations have made the Indian Army one of the most versatile forces in the world. The Army’s soldiers are divided into 35 Divisions within 13 Corps. The Indian Army is the third strongest in the world on the basis of strength of personnel. China and the US are considered to be number 1 and 2. According to Arms Control Association, India’s nuclear stockpile has 130 warheads. India’s nuclear stockpile as the seventh largest in the world. India has a variety of launch systems that can deliver nuclear warheads for example missiles launched from land or from naval vessels and even submarines.
- France – France is one of the world’s super powers maintaining the largest armed forces in the European Union funded by the sixth-largest budget of any military in the world. They also possess the world’s third-largest nuclear weapons arsenal behind the United States and Russia. France’s military is the fifth strongest in the world. They have around only 388635. Active personnel – 205000, Reserve Personnel – 183635. Everyone one has to remember they have a much smaller country than all the others on the list so far, and their budget is still a very healthy 35 billion dollars. Total aircraft strength 1262, Combat tanks – 406, Total Naval assets – 118, armored fighting vehicles – 6330.