Yoga has been practiced in India since ages. There are different forms of yoga and they each have different benefits. Different people have different needs, troubles, and pain. Also there are various forms of yoga which help in curing certain illness. Yoga can be the ultimate cure for controlling diabetes, thyroid problems, back issues and much more. Thyroid disease is a medical condition which affects the function of thyroid gland. There are mainly two types of thyroid –
- Hypothyroidism 2. Hyperthyroidism.
Some of the most common symptoms of thyroid include fatigue, low energy, weight gain or loss, inability to tolerate the cold, slow or very fast heart rate, dry skin and constipation or diarrhea depending on what kind of thyroid it is. It is best to consult a doctor and discuss the way forward but know that yoga and meditation can help in relieving a lot of issues associated with thyroid. A stressful lifestyle can be a major contributor to thyroid but it can be managed by indulging in peaceful yoga sessions every morning. You should also take care of your diet and avoid unhealthy eating when suffering from thyroid. Drinking a concoction of coriander seeds soaked in water is a good remedy for managing thyroid.
You should consult a physician before you start practicing yoga as it is important to check which kind of thyroid you are suffering from. Although these yoga poses are good for both hypo and hyper thyroid.
Yoga brings many benefits to your overall health and well – being. It can balance your energy, increase flexibility, and relieve stress. There is a certain yoga poses that are thought to balance out thyroids that are either under active or over active.
Several studies have shown the positive effect of yoga on improving thyroid function. Keep in mind that these poses cannot cure your thyroid imbalance. Yoga is considered a complementary therapy. It should not be used as a replacement for any therapies or medications you are currently undergoing.
Yoga is an exercise that helps reduce a person’s stress levels. According to study yoga reduces the symptoms of stress and improves over all well – being. Stress is often associated with thyroid problems. For this reason yoga may be beneficial for thyroid health. According to study yoga improved thyroid function. A study found that 6 months of yoga practice helped to improve cholesterol levels and levels of thyroid – stimulating hormone (TSH). This reduced the need for thyroid replacement therapy in women suffering from hypothyroidism.
- Shoulder Stand Pose – It helps in stimulating thyroid glands and controls thyroxin. In this particular pose, the blood flows from the legs to the head region due to the inverted pose which helps in mitigating thyroid. Shoulder stand is often the first pose that is suggested to treat the thyroid. Since it is an inversion, it stimulates blood flow to the glands in the upper body. This is believedto have a positive effect on the efficiency of the thyroid. The way your chin is tucked into your chest in this position is believed to benefit thyroid function.
- Plough Pose – This exercise gives compression to the neck thereby stimulating the abdominal and thyroid glands. It also calms the brain and reduces stress and fatigue.
- Fish Pose – This pose takes the form of a fish and therefore it is called the fish pose. It stretches your neck hence stimulating the thyroid glands. This asana provides gentle healing suited to the needs of thyroid patients, lowers stress levels and reduces the stiffness of muscles and joints. It helps in relaxing the body and preventing mood swings and depression which thyroid might cause. Fish pose and shoulder stand are thought to be most effective for improving thyroid function. As you let your head hang back in fish pose, you stimulate your thyroid by exposing the throat area.
- Bridge Pose – By this pose you will be able to stretch your neck and activate the thyroid glands. It helps in calming the brain, reducing anxiety and improving the digestion system.
- Cobra Pose – During this pose, there is a lot of compressing and stretching which helps in regulating the thyroid glands. This pose helps in improving blood circulation and the flexibility of upper and middle back, strengthens the entire back and shoulders, tones the abdomen, expands the chest and reduces stress and fatigue. Cobra pose brings gentle stimulation to the thyroid gland.
- Head stand Pose – It is one of the finest yoga postures as it helps in managing acts directly on the thyroid glands. It aids in balancing the metabolic functions and brings wakefulness and alertness in body. The Supported Head stand Pose is one of the most advanced yoga positions and acts directly on the thyroid glands. The pose helps blood flow to the heart as well as stimulating the brain’s pituitary and pineal glands, which helps to relieve stress.